Friday, December 14, 2007

I've decided to start running again. My freshman year of college, I got really into running, which was followed by a summer at camp as the hiking counselor, which meant that I was very fit. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but that is no longer the case. At any rate, in the attempt to not be a New Year's resolution, I've started now, today in fact.

I'm attempting a program called Couch to 5K. It seems to be a logical progression to running a 5K, that is, you simply insert longer and longer bouts of running into your walking. Since I'm fairly proficient at walking (must be from all that shopping and those treks across UALR, which has the most inefficient parking I've ever seen) I decided that this would be a good way to start. As is the case with anything I undertake, I have much more success if people know I'm doing it, so I feel like posting on my blog is a good way to get people to know that I'm attempting it. While I have no intention of making this a fitness blog, because who would take my fitness advice seriously, I do fully intend to report my progress on here. After all, look what that same course of action did for Dr. Mark Elrod.

I started the 5K program today. The first week consists of three workouts, each of which are the same and call for you to complete a brisk five minute warm up walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for a total of twenty minutes, that is, the entire workout is 25 minutes long. It went well, much better than simply running till you get tired, frustrated and probably injured. I left the gym feeling better than I had in months, largely because I hadn't been to the gym in months. I won't do day two of the workout until Sunday, but you can expect a post. If not, you should ask me why I didn't post and why I didn't work out.

1 comment:

Edward Carson said...

Read this book: Winning Running; it is great; I would read it while training for a marathon or 5k.